Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Birthday Celebration!

After a long trip back to Kiev, we all felt a little grumpy to say the least. We made it to our apartment and then went to grab something to eat. Jim Bob and I are really starting to feel the longing to be home. I really miss family, friends, and just my usual surroundings. Most of all, I miss hearing and speaking English to people! It was close to supper time and we thought that it would do us all some good to go for a walk and just take a deep breath. When we were walking down the steps to leave our building, we heard people in the stair well speaking in English!! They heard Jim Bob and I talking and they said, “Hey Americans!” I jumped for joy hearing this. We all walked outside together and began talking with them. There were two couples that were from the United States who was also in the adoption process. As I stood there, I can’t even begin to describe just how thankful I was to be able to carry on a conversation with other people who spoke my native language and who was also going through a process like us. It was a great God moment. Shortly after talking with them, we found out that they were going out to dinner to celebrate birthdays. They immediately invited us to come and join them. I told them that my birthday was the next day! It was a birthday celebration for three!! I was so grateful that complete strangers embraced us as friends. As we walked to the restaurant we all exchange our stories of how we got here and how we were all “called” to adopt children. We were all talking as if we were long lost friends. When we got to the restaurant all the adults sat together and all the kiddos sat at a table. I think this was great for Emmy and Anna. They too have been lonely without their friends to talk with. They immediately became acquainted with the other children who were also being adopted.  We sat and talked for some time and the kids also seem to enjoy each other’s company. They began to take pictures of each other and laughing. After we were done eating, we were invited to come back to the apartment with the families to enjoy cake and ice cream for the birthday celebration.  We all gathered in the kitchen to sing Happy Birthday! It was such a great moment. Then we all gathered into the living room and shared stories about how God has moved in our lives. The evening came to an end and we said good night and came back to our apartment.  As I reflected on the evening events, I thanked God for placing those people in my life. Earlier that day, we all felt tired and wore out. God knew that Jim Bob and I needed recharged, reminded of why we were here. Thank you God for a great evening! Then today we had a busy day with the medical exams and submitting paperwork to the embassy. When I came out of the embassy, my facilitator and her daughter gave me a beautiful bouquet of flowers and a gift for my birthday!  Then we all walked to the market to get some things. We came back to our apartment to unwind after the long day. Jim Bob left with the girls to go to the market to purchase a few things. When they returned the girls came in with big smiles on their faces. They were excited to show what they bought. They bought me birthday gifts! Emmy was so excited that she had to show me what she bought immediately. She purchased a compact mirror, a key chain that says I love you and a beaded Ukrainian Egg. Anna got me a glass heart necklace and a snow globe.  You could tell their excitement to finally be able to purchase something for someone special.  Today was a great day and I felt very special on my birthday. I got the chance to skype with friends and family throughout the day.  My nieces and family sang happy birthday to me and it just made me miss home even more.  In reality this process has been very short for us. We have been blessed that God has provided a way that the process can move quickly. The process has been filled with so many emotions and twists and turns, that I am just ready to leave and start a new chapter for our family.  But for now, I thank God for placing people in our lives at the most perfect time!







1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Mandy! We did not know it was your birthday, what an amazing birthday surprise to meet the other american families.

    ReplyDelete